Vision and Mission
VISION : Edmonton , an Intercultural Community
MISSION : Edmonton Intercultural Centre fosters a dynamic model of Intercultural engagement
DEFINITION : “Intercultural”
In Intercultural Communities, there is comprehensive mutuality, reciprocity, and equality.
Our social structure and everyday interactions are defined by justice, mutuality, respect, equality, understanding, acceptance, freedom, diversity, peace-making, and celebration. Intercultural Community hopes to take us deeper than Multicultural or Cross-Cultural models of Community.
It also means that
- … there are mutually reciprocal relationships among and between cultures
- … people from different cultural groups interact with one another, learn and grow together; build relationships and become transformed, shaped, and moulded from each other’s experiences
- … “Intercultural” is not a substitute for “ethnic”!
- … the focus is on relationship building (not survival), deep connections, interactions, mutual giving, respect, and learning from one another
- … no one is left unchanged in the intercultural process: some examine their own culture more deeply, some are changed through the interaction with others, many learn more about what it means to be in Community together
- … racial and cultural power imbalances are addressed; people are enabled to learn from each other and lead toward the transformation of all peoples